Wait, it’s not just a shingle or metal roof?
Unless you have been in the construction industry or had to replace a roof before, you may not know that there are several different roofing systems. We speak to clients on a daily basis that say, “I need a roof.” Which is great, we love to hear that sentence. After all, we are a roofing company. However, some seem stunned when we ask, “What roofing system are you looking to go with?” It never surprises us when we hear, “Well, whatever is already up there.” Let’s stop right there. Unless you have been in the construction industry or had to replace a roof recently, you may not know that there are several different roofing systems now available for you to purchase. So before you just settle for any roofing system. Let us help educate you on the different types, longevity, cost, and benefits of several different systems you can purchase. We have created a list of roofing systems that we are commonly asked about when a consumer is thinking about purchasing a new roof. Keep in mind that the information shared below is based on a home averaging 1500 to 2000 square feet. For a better understanding of the cost associated with your new roof, click here to contact a representative at coastal roofing.
3 Shingle Roofing Types You Should Know Of
3 Tab Roofing System
- This roofing system is going to be the most affordable shingle system for consumers and come in several different colors for clients to choose from.
- On average a 3 Tab- Asphalt Roofing system can last you upwards of 15-20 years.
- Average Cost of a 3- Tab Shingle Roof can be $5,000- $8,000.
- A downfall consumers and contractors find with 3 tab systems is they generally fall apart easier than your other shingle systems. If you live in extreme environments, for example, severe weather conditions like heat, hail, wind or things like tornadoes or hurricanes. You will find that this roof will start to deteriorate faster than its more expensive options. That doesn’t mean that this roof can’t and won’t last you.
Architectural Shingle Roofing System
- Architectural Shingles are higher in cost and tend to be more popular with consumers. When comparing them to cheaper options like 3 tab, we find that they are more durable and can withstand a lot more environmental hazards. Like their more affordable roofing options, they come in several different colors but tend to have better aesthetics, giving more of a designer look.
- If the proper maintenance is given to your roof, some consumers have reported their system lasting 30 plus years. Want to learn more about proper maintenance of your roof, click here to learn more about our roof protect.
- The Average Cost of a complete roof replacement could potentially be $6,000-$12,000. Depending on the size, and shape of your home.
- Some benefits you will find with this system is it’s easier to install, looks better and can hold up against extreme weather conditions.
Luxury Shingle Roofing System
- Luxury shingle roofing systems are the perfect blend of asphalt and other material. When engineers were creating these shingles they wanted to consider what would withstand or hold up to hurricanes, severe weather, snow, hail, or other harsh conditions. Because of this, this system is three times stronger than other roofing systems when compared to shingle systems.
- Most consumers and contractors have found that luxury shingle roofing systems can last 20-30 years. In some instances, this system has been known to last upwards of 50 years. Keep in mind it all depends on the maintenance of your roof and what environment you live in. Obviously, if you live on a coastline, you would be lucky to get the max lifespan out of any roofing system.
- The general cost of this system can start at $11,500 and go upwards of $25,000 depending on the size of your home.
- Roofing Contractors have found that these shingles have better resistance to algae and mold that can grow on your roof. They also tend to be more resistant to strong winds, and fire damage.
8 Metal Roofing Systems and their Benefits
Aluminum Roofing System
- Aluminum Roofing Systems are one of the oldest roofing system options clients can choose from. Because of its material and coloration, it is known to reflect heat from your home and keep your home cooler.
- If you’re looking for a roof that has great longevity aluminum roofs can last upward to 30 plus years.
- The average cost of this roof can be anywhere from $14,800 to $30,000.
- One of the biggest benefits of aluminum roofs is that they are leak-resistant as well as rust-resistant when being compared to corrugated metal roofing systems. This system is also fire resistant and can withstand weather conditions like hurricanes or severe thunderstorms that can produce strong winds and hail.
Copper Roofing System
- Copper Roofing Systems can be one of the prettiest roofs you can put on a home. There is a lot someone should consider before purchasing a copper roof.
- One of the most important things you must know is this roofing system can last over 50 years. However, copper is known to oxidize after some time so maintenance is going to be very important when purchasing this roof. If you decide this roof is right for your home make sure you put a clear polyurethane or lacquer to help preserve the beautiful look that a copper roofing system provides.
- Being one of the prettiest metal roofing systems you can put on your home comes with a cost. Expect to pay anywhere from $20,000 to upwards of $50,000.
- With such a high price tag, consumers can expect to have a roof that is fire and corrosion-resistant, energy-efficient, and environmentally friendly.
Corrugated Metal Roofing System
- Your Corrugated Metal Roofing Systems have a very distinct look with rippled or wavy-like patterns on each sheet. This is typically a roof that is installed over an existing roof.
- The longevity of a roof like this is not ideal, in fact, this roofing system is prone to leaks and tears after some time. This type of roofing is ideal for carports or sheds but if you are on a budget. It can also be put on your home.
- Corrugated Metal Roofs are your most affordable metal roof. You can expect to pay anywhere from $8,000 to $22,000 depending on the size of your home.
- This type of system while prone to leaks is still considered strong and can withstand strong winds and severe weather conditions.
Metal Slate Roofing System
- Metal Slate Roofing systems are beautiful roofs and are sometimes mistaken for real stone roofs. Even though they may look like natural slate roofing. They are metal slates designed to look the part. While you may want a more natural look with real slate shingles, the stone is a lot heavier to use and can cause issues with the structure of your home. The Metal Slate not only looks like natural slates but is a lot lighter, making it more ideal for your home.
- Like most roofing systems, they have over a decade of life and protection to your home.
- The average cost of a metal slate roof can change with the layout of your home but for general reference, you can expect to pay upwards of $20,000 for a home over 2000 sq ft.
- If you are looking for a great benefit for this roofing system it is the fact that you can have something as beautiful as a slate roof without the weight and cost of natural slates.
Standing Seam Metal Roofing System
- Standing Seam Metal Roofs are your most popular metal roofing system on the market because it is easily available and cost compared to the longevity of the roof seems to sit better with consumers.
- If you heard of a roof that lasted well into 40 years, it was most likely a standing seam metal roof. If you are comparing roofing systems and want longevity at an affordable cost. This is the roof you are going to want to go with.
- Depending on the size of your home this roof can run you upwards of $20,000.
- With the interlocking seams of this roofing system, you will find that it holds up nicely in severe weather conditions. Whether it be a snowstorm or hurricane, this roof has proven itself time and time again. It also comes in an array of colors to match the aesthetics of your home.
Steel Roofing System
- A steel roofing system is going to be one of the strongest roofing systems you can put on your roof. Consumers and Contractors find that this material, unlike other metals, has proven to be resistant to cracking, deterioration, and in some cases shrinking.
- If you are looking into replacing your roof with this system, you can expect upwards of 20 plus years before needing a new roof. Keep in mind a great deal of this depends on the environment you live in and the maintenance you provide on your roof.
- If you feel like this system is right for your home you can expect to pay $18,000- to $27,000 depending on the size of your home.
- While the cost of a steel metal roofing system is one of the higher costs for a metal roof. It does come with its benefits. This roofing system is both energy efficient and some consumers have reported a drop in insurance premiums when changing from Asphalt roofing systems.
Tin Roofing System
- Tin Roofing systems are actually a combination of steel and tin material. To create tin roofing systems, engineers chemically bond tin to steel. This is done by a plating process, where steel is heated up and tin is introduced into it. When this process occurs the steel and tin bond together making this system resistant to cracking and durable.
- Because of this bonding of tin and steel, consumers have found that their roofs have lasted upwards of 40 to 50 years.
- So what would the cost of this roofing system be? Like any roof, it depends on the size of the home. This roofing system is likely to start at $10,000 and can easily go over $40,000.
- A benefit that consumers love about tin roofing systems is that because they are made of mostly recycled materials they are considered eco-friendly.
Zinc Metal Roofing System
- Here is something you don’t get asked about every day. What about a Zinc Metal Roofing System? This system has been around for over a century and has several benefits of why you could want this on your home. Zinc Roofing is recyclable and because of low toxicity levels is considered a Green Environmental friendly material.
- We will start with the longevity of this system, with the proper maintenance of a zinc metal roofing system you can get 100 plus years out of your roof. Now with that being said, you always have to consider the area and environment you live in.
- Depending on the size of your home consumers should expect to pay $8,000 to upwards of $18,000 when using this system on your home.
- One of the best benefits of a zinc metal roofing system is it’s easily foldable. Which makes this ideal for homes with unique roofs. What makes this even more unique is this even when folded you do not lose the durability or strength of this material. This means that like other metal roofing systems they remain crack resistant and even erosion resistant. Zinc roofs have also been known to withstand harsh or extreme weather conditions.